Monday, March 22, 2010
Vegetable Quesadilla that Kids Love
As always, try to get the kids to participate as much as you can by letting them help and adding vegetables that they enjoy!
Servings: 4 portions
- Juice of 1 lime (around 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or half as much table salt)
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed, and thinly sliced (1/4 inch) lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- (Add vegetables that your kids like!)
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound grated fresh mozzarella, cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- A handful of cilantro leaves, washed and dried
- Salsa for serving
Preheat your grill on high. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and garlic. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet, and pour half the dressing over them, turning them to coat the slices evenly.
Turn the grill down to medium-low and roast the veggies, turning them and adjusting the heat as necessary, until they are completely tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove them to a plate, dress with the remainder of the lime juice mixture, and set aside.
Heat a large griddle (or a heavy frying pan) over medium-high heat, and lay half of the tortillas into it (if you're using a pan, you'll need to do this in batches). Divide the cheese over them, top with the remaining tortillas, and cook until the bottoms are golden and crisp. Flip them, and cook until the tortillas are crisp and the cheese is melted. Open the quesadillas and divide the cilantro and grilled veggies among them, cutting the vegetables as necessary to fit, then quarter the quesadillas and serve with salsa.
Based on source family.com