Monday, March 8, 2010
Healthy Treats for Kids
During the last couple of weeks we've been featuring healthy snack recipes and tips as a request from our viewers. Check out this great list of snack tips for kids!
Healthy treats your kids will love:
- Slice some fruits and drizzle with honey as a syrup, and sprinkle granola on top. Make it look like a beautiful dessert!
- Add extra veggies, color, and texture to traditional tuna salad sandwiches by tossing in chopped red peppers or sugar snap peas.
- Homemade granola bars are always delicious, and kids will love them even more if they help bake them!
- When making tacos, cut calories and fat by using soft whole wheat tortillas.
- Avoid products that include preservatives by preparing homemade pasta sauces, guacamole, and salsa.
- Use lean turkey meat when making meatballs and hamburgers.
- Pack your child's lunchbox with fruit and water rather than with boxed juices which contain added sugar and very little fruit.
- Make mini vegetable pizzas by splitting English muffins and topping each half with tomato sauce, cheese, and veggies.
- Make a wholesome snack by cutting whole wheat pita rounds into wedges, toasting them, and packing with cheese slices.
- Freeze grapes for a delicious frozen treat.
- Top a whole grain bagel with peanut butter and sprinkle with raisins and/or sliced bananas for well-balanced breakfast.
Based on Source: Foodnetwork