Some prefer the New York pizza style, others swear by the Chicago style....we like both! Here is a Chicago Style Deep Dish Spinach Pizza. We bet your family will love it, even if they live in New York.
Chicago Style Deep Dish Spinach Pizza
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian turkey sausage (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 8-ounce tomato sauce (try making it yourself with organic tomatos, herbs and garlic)
- 4-ounce sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 16-ounce loaf frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or Romano cheese
For crust, on a lightly floured surface roll two-thirds of the bread dough into a 12-inch circle. (If necessary, let dough rest once or twice during rolling.) Carefully place the circle in a greased 9-inch springform pan, pressing the dough 1-1/2 inches up the sides. Sprinkle bottom of the dough with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Spoon meat filling over cheese.
Pat spinach dry with paper towels. Mix spinach, egg, and remaining mozzarella cheese. Spread spinach mixture over meat filling.
Roll remaining dough into a 10-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
Cut circle into 10 to 12 wedges. Arrange wedges atop spinach mixture, slightly overlapping edges and sealing ends to bottom crust along edge of pan. Brush top with melted margarine or butter and sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano cheese.
Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is hot and bread is done. If necessary, cover with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of springform pan. Cut into wedges. Makes 8 servings.