This is a great family recipe, easy to make, hearty and very wholesome: mixed grain risotto with mushroom. Try adding kids' veggie faves to it!
Mixed Grain Risotto with Mushroom
Servings: 8 portions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable broth
- 4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 small head of radicchio, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (not required!)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Stir in half the radicchio and the grains and cook another 2 minutes. Mix in the white wine and the broth, and cook until reduced to about a tablespoon. Cook, stirring occasionally until thick and slightly soupy and the grains are tender, about 50 - 55 minutes.
During the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir in the remaining radicchio. Remove from heat; stir in the Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.