Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Spices Are Great (in Moderation We Say!)

Don't we all love spices? And this is the time of the year when our cabinets are filled with them. Not only are teens smoking and eating large amounts of nutmeg in search of a quick high (many are taking a quick trip to the ER with convulsions instead), the traditional eggnog topper was recently pulled from shelves nationwide due to a salmonella scare.
According to a report in Veterinary and Human Toxicology, 32 cases of cinnamon oil poisoning were called into the Pittsburgh Poison Center within a five-month period of 1990, each involving a teen-age boy who had ingested (or inhaled) an inordinate amount of the stuff. Some of the boys suffered from nausea or abdominal pain; others from welts on their skin or other dermal or ocular irritation. Ingesting too much cinnamon can also cause rapid heart beat, lightheadedness, facial flushing and shortness of breath.
Clove oil is also dangerous when ingested in large quantities. In 2004 and 2005 two infants developed acute liver failure after accidentally swallowing about 10 milliliters of the oil. 
Vanilla extract is also concerning because it contains 35% ethanol, which can cause central nervous system depression and respiratory compromise if misused. 
Spices are delicious, when used properly!

Source: msnbc

No comments:

Post a Comment