Some home cleaning products may contain airborne substances known to cause asthma to kids and adults. Unfortunately kids are very vulnerable!
The Environmental Working Group came up with a few easy tips to consider when cleaning the house (and schools!):
1. Dilute cleaning supplies. Less is usually more!
2. Clean with windows and doors open so air pollution is not trapped inside your home.
3. Wear gloves. Cleaning chemicals may harm or penetrate skin and eyes.
4. Keep kids away from cleaning products.
5. Never mix bleach with ammonia, vinegar and other acids. They can produce deadly gases.
6. Try to find certified Green products. They tend to be a lot less toxic.
7. Skip the biggest hazards. Avoid air fresheners, use a baking soda and water paste to clean the oven and tackle stains, and use a mechanical snake to unclog the drain.
For more tips, visit ewg.org