Indian-Spiced Chicken Pitas
Servings: 4 portions
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala , (see Tip), divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced seeded cucumber
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt (if kids don't like it, try cream cheese)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro , or mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler. If grilling, oil the grill rack (see Tip). If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon garam masala and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place the chicken on the grill rack or prepared pan and cook until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the size of the breast. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, cilantro (or mint), lemon juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Thinly slice the chicken. Split open the warm pitas and fill with the chicken, yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion.
- Tips: Garam masala is a blend of spices used in Indian cooking. It is available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
Source: Eating Well