Chicken Tikka Masala
Servings: 4 portions
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece minced ginger (1-inch long)
- 6 bamboo skewers (6-inch long)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Small jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (buy in Indian market)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounce tomato sauce (you can make a marinade or buy it)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Soak bamboo skewers in water.
Thread chicken on skewers, and marinate (in the refrigerator) for an hour or so.
For sauce, melt butter on medium heat.
Add garlic & jalapeno; cook 1 minute.
Stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala & salt. Add the tomato sauce. Simmer 15 minutes.
Stir in cream; simmer to thicken- about 5 minutes.
Grill or broil chicken, turning occasionally, to cook through- about 8 minutes.
Remove chicken from skewers; add to sauce.
Simmer 5 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro Serve with basmati rice, naan or pita bread.